Tuesday, April 13, 2010

April 2010...The Month Bobby Ray Landed

On the real, both of these tracks deserve their own individual posts. I say that because if you would have asked me a couple of days ago, I would have said without a question my favorite track of the past month was B.O.B.'s track Don't Let Me Fall. I say that because it has all the ingredients of what I really like in a song...starting off with a piano lead in followed by catchy but not too over the top hook, a lil acoustic guitar, some deep bass...add in a touch of "that red clay East of the A" (as Playboy Tre would say) Decatur style Southern drawl with some well thought out, passionate verses that invite you into his psyche...good gawd if you can't nod your head, snap ya fingaz and vibe out to this track, you are no friend of mine.

The second verse on the track was awe inspiring on first listen because you can hear through his in-your-face diction and relentless flow the emotion he pours into his music. From the insecurity of hoping not to fall from his destiny at the top him encouraging to live life to the fullest, it's easy to respect his positive and emotionally exposed message. Second verse lyrics below....
Yeah, not far much longer
From where that pavement is
Cause there aint no parachute
That they can make for this
Cause I put my pain my heart
My soul my faith in this
Does anyone feel like how I feel
Then you can relate to this
And just a blaze of this
Maybe roll one up and take a hit
Toast to the good life
Then take a sip
Vacay everyday and take a trip
It was easy to see I was made for this
From the womb all the way
To the way I grave spit
Just to show all you niggas
What greatness is
Yea...I’m talkin very lucid
Like makin movies
To picture my life, boooooy
You need a higher resolution
I used to cut class everyday
Then run away at night
But now I’m ruler of the upperclass
And I don’t even write...

B.O.B. - Don't Let Me Fall Second Single!!!


But hold on just one cot damn minute...the track above may have been my favorite for the better part of the month, only to be surpassed this week by his new single title Airplanes. Interestingly enough, I had no idea this Hayley Williams could cut a hook like she did on this track. Yea, I did know a little bit about Paramore though (holla back B!), but man, did Hayley kill it and take the track to another level, perfectly matching the inspirational message delivered by Bobby Ray.

The first verse in this track really struck me...like every time you hear a line you gotta single click the middle button on the iPod (just once) then with the finesse of a surgeon roll back the track wheel ever so slightly so you don't roll it back too far...(anybody else do that?). B.O.B. dreams aloud of the roller coaster that is life where you can lose yourself in thought over the greater things in life only to re-focus back to reality which can be a never ending struggle seemingly. What's cool is his winding train of thought ends in a really cool and inspirational metaphor with using planes as a vehicle to describe never letting up on your journey no matter how many obstacles come your way. Lyrics below...
Yeah
I could use a dream or a genie or a wish
To go back to a place much simpler than this
Cause after all the partyin’ and smashin’ and crashin’
And all the glitz and the glam and the fashion
And all the pandemonium and all the madness
There comes a time where you fade to the blackness
And when you’re staring at that phone in your lap
And you hoping but them people never call you back
But that’s just how the story unfolds
You get another hand soon after you fold

And when your plans unravel
And they sayin’ what would you wish for
If you had one chance
So airplane airplane sorry I’m late
I’m on my way so don’t close that gate
If I don’t make that then I’ll switch my flight
And I’ll be right back at it by the end of the night

I've only begun to really enjoy this track, which is why I couldn't wait to share it with you guys last night. Maybe it's cause I dig really emotional music and artists that aren't afraid to be passionate about what they're saying by exposing themselves with somewhat vulnerable lyrics. It's all about accessibility, which is why everyone loves Twitter because it brings common everyday people and fans that much closer to the inner thoughts of people they idolize and are fans of. With artists like Cudi, Drake, and even your boy Joe Budden, completely unafraid to share their deepest insecurities through lyrics, it's no wonder they're growing to be so liked. Think about it, even as messed up as some of the stuff Eminem has written about, it's mostly true and delivered in such and emotional way that it inspired people. Just sayin' folks, there's a reason why some artists are more widely respected than others...takes a lot to tell millions of strangers your innermost thoughts.

This one is on about lap 20 on my iPod right now, so do what you can to keep it going and show some love...lords knows I will purchase this absolutely great album that now has 6...count that 6 tracks that I'm a fan of...before it even comes out...I know, that shit is pecans...give it a listen


B.O.B. feat Hayley Williams of Paramore - Airplanes Great Great Track!!!!!

0 comments:

eXTReMe Tracker